There is still no major player movement to report, and aside from the same rumors regarding Jake Peavy, there has been very little to even speculate about. Here is the latest news from around baseball:
- The Boston Red Sox have finalized a deal with 22 year-old Japanese pitcher Junichi Tazawa. Unlike their pursuit of Daisuke Matsuzaka a couple of years back, the Red Sox did not have to pay for the rights to talk to Tazawa as he has never played professional baseball.
- Free agent and often injured left handed pitcher Mike Hampton has inked a deal to pitch for the Houston Astros, pending a physical. In all likelihood the deal is for one year, hell, he’d be lucky to pass the physical.
- The Astros also came to terms with middle reliever Doug Brocail on a one year deal with a club option for a second.
- According to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, the Atlanta Braves are nearing a deal for Chicago White Sox pitcher Javier Vazquez.
- Toronto Blue Jays owner and Rogers Communications Inc founder Ted Rogers passed away today at the age of 75. Rogers had been hospitalized in recent weeks with a heart condition.